Saturday, September 3, 2011

Keen eyeballs, Carl and Dominic and the caterpillars

This week, September 1st,  is when Jake officially purchased the optometry practice and everything became his.  I am so excited for him and don't doubt that he will put every ounce of effort he has into making this practice a great one.  I knew that he was nervous about it being his first day. I also knew he wouldn't want me to show up with balloons and a clown but, I really wanted to do something and I wanted to take pictures of him that day too.  I decided cookies would be a good start!! It's mostly women that work there and what woman doesn't love chocolate or peanut butter and cookies so I figured they would enjoy them.  Everyone that works there has been really nice.  I took a few photos of Jake and of course Liam too.  Here are some of them...
Amber, Beth, and Jake

Some little wild boy who was ready for a nap

He lost his contact and couldn't find it... : )

The inside of the optical

Liam giving Jake an exam

Which one is better? One or two?

I think one was better





Yay!!! After 8 years of undergrad and optometry school !!! Finally his name is on the wall!!

Carl and Dominic are the newest additions to our family. My mom, Nonnie, bought him to goldfish of his very own.  He really likes them and loves to show everyone when they come over to the house! He likes to tell you what a fish says, he opens and closes his mouth like a little guppy!  After much deliberation, I thought I would let him keep them in his room.  So far he has done really well and leaves them alone.  He likes to tell them goodnight when he goes to bed and he points on the tank where they are but so far, knock on wood he hasn't tried to mess with the lid or light or anything else.  Here's some photos of the dynamic duo!!!
Carl is on top and Dominic is on bottom

Dominic and the cute little sign



Carl and Dominic usually have some little figurines that hang out by them.  There is a story behind them I will tell.  I have always loved meerkats! I just think they are super cute and love that they live in little colonies!! One day, right after we moved back, Liam and I were in Rural King get some yard stuff and we went by these little animal figurines.  They had every animal you could imagine! Cows, zebras, elephants, hippos, etc. Well, Liam got to pick one and he chose the meerkat! You could imagine I was very excited he did!!!  A few weeks later we went to see Jake in the mall. We took Liam to the candy store and they sold those animals too.  Jake saw this little meerkat family and showed it to me and we had to get it for Liam.  So now that you know the story behind why we have random meerkats by Carl and Dominics tank it might be a little less puzzling.  Here is "meery" and his family!!
The first few days Liam had "meery" he carried him everywhere and I am really shocked that he hasn't lost one or both of them.  We always randomly ask him where meery or his family are and he sometimes knows right where they are or puts his up and looks puzzled and says "dun no".


Another new addition to our family was the caterpillars.  One of the first days we were in our new house, we were clearing away vines and weeds from the fence.  Jake walked up with this weird looking black and yellow caterpillar.  I thought what the heck, let's make a cage for it and see what happens.  I told my sister n law this and she was excited to inform me that it would turn into a monarch butterfly.  She did this last year and was doing it again this year with a caterpillar. She told me what kind cage I needed and what they ate.  More than I ever thought I needed to know about caterpillars.  Well to my shock and amazement.  She told me that if he started to form a "J" and hang upside down from the top of his cage he was going to make his chrysalis.  So he hung upside down in a "j" for about a day and then the next morning we came down and sat down to eat breakfast to look up and see this......

His Chrysalis!!
Jenny gave us a new leaf with a caterpillar egg on it to see the whole process from beginning to end

I think it's really kinda neat and something I will try and do every year.  It's kind like the story by Eric Carle, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".

Hope you enjoyed my update!!!  It feels pretty good to have done 2 posts in 2 days instead of every 2 months!!! 


No comments: